Voltage Regulator Update

Tech information furnished by Scott Wood

I just replaced the old points type voltage regulator on my 1968 FJ-40 with a solid state unit. I had been wanting to do this for a very long time, but never found the correct part number for a solid state unit. After a lot of research, I found the part and installed it last night. It works perfectly.

Buy either a NAPA VR1001 or a Standard VR128 voltage regulator. This is a solid state replacement for late 1960's Chryslers, it replaces the points type regulator in those cars. The pigtail on the regulator connects to ignition, and the stud on the regulator for the field. The "E" from the alternator just goes to a ground, I used the bolt that attaches the regulator to the firewall.

I used a VR128 and if the holes had been about 1/16th of a inch farther apart it would have bolted up to the firewall holes for the old regulator, as it was, I just used my Dremel tool and make the holes just a little bigger.

This is a very easy upgrade, it took me about 15 minutes. No more overcharging or very erratic output from my alternator.

Posted April 15, 2003

©2000-2014 by IH8MUD.com - ALL RIGHTS RESERVED